My Vons and Ralphs Shopping Trips

I wasn't able to take pictures of my shopping trips today and I'll tell you why in just a minute. First, I'll share my savings with you.

Today at Vons, I spent $18.30 and saved $11.70, which is 39%. I thought I got good deals, so I was surprised when the percent saved was so low. Here's what I bought:
2 Nabisco Vanilla Wafers $1.99 each = $3.98
4 Lean Pockets $1.69 each = $6.76
2 Lucerne Shredded Cheese $1.99 each = $3.98
2 Dole Juice $1.99 each = $3.98

At Ralphs, I spent $6.12 and saved $4.93, which is 45%. Here's what I bought:
1 Dozen eggs $.99
2 Dannon yogurt $1.88 each = $3.76
Broccoli $.99/pound = $1.37

So, here's why I wasn't able to take any pictures of my shopping trips. Ralphs was the last store I shopped at, and when I was picking out my broccoli, they announced that in 2 minutes, they would be giving away some brand new products for free. Since other stores, like Walmart and Costco, often have these same promotions, I didn't have any doubts. So, I went to the aisles they said to go to and the guy came and said the presentation would take 30 seconds and we would get at least 3 free items. Right away, he briefly demonstrates a tool that he says normally retails $7 - it's used to take the eye out of potatoes, zest your orange, etc. skins, and cut a decorative shape out of fruit. Then, he hands one to all of us, for free. He takes out the next product to demonstrate it, and it's a mandoline slicer that's not sold in stores yet. The product looks great, but he's taking a long time to demonstrate it, so a lot of people leave and only 4 of us are left. I'm constantly checking my watch since I've already shopped at 2 stores and don't want my cold items to get warm. I'm about ready to leave, when he finishes his demonstration, and says since we hung on so long for the free item, he will give us this mandoline slicer for 1/2 price $20 something dollars, and if we buy 5 of them, he will give us the 6th one free! I was so mad! I stormed off and only bought a few of the things I intended to buy. When I checked out, I saw a couple of the other ladies that had stayed and they did say he gave out some cheap kitchen shears, but he kept trying to convince them to buy a slicer - no one did - thank goodness! So, as soon as I got home, I told the kids to help me get the things in the freezer and refrigerator fast. Luckily, everything was still cold.

I was so mad, that I was misled! When the cashier asked how everything was - I told her not good, that that guy took advantage of us and they shouldn't have him in their store. I normally don't go for stuff like that, like at a fair or the mall, but because he was in a reputable store and other stores have legitimately had similar giveaways, and because he started off giving us something, I thought it was real! Well, never again!

Have any of you ever been misled like that?

Labels: