My Week

On Monday, my sub job had been cancelled, but luckily I picked up another one at around 10:00 pm the night before. I ended up subbing at the same school where my job was cancelled. I was in a 3rd grade class. A lot of the students remembered me from last year. In this class, the kids are in one classroom for half the day and learn math, and then they switch with the next door class and go there to learn language arts. I was in the math class. The kids were pretty well behaved and I was able to work one-on-one with several of them to help them understand the math. After I picked up my son, I had to cook dinner and do the dishes. Then I had to wait for someone else to come home so I could go for my walk. I ended up having to walk at 7:30, and it was already dark.

On Tuesday, my sub job had been cancelled, but luckily I picked up another one the night before. I subbed in a first grade class. I subbed in that class last year, and that class was much better behaved than the first graders she has this year. After lunch I had to have a serious talk with them, reminding them of the rules and how to behave. After that, they did pretty good. They were still a little talkative, but quieted down when I asked. After picking up my son, I got caught up on some things around the house. I went for a walk after dinner, dishes, and watering the plants in the backyard.

On Wednesday, I didn't have a job at first, so I walked my son to school and was going to stay for the flag ceremony. When we were almost to school, the phone rang! It was for a 3 hour job(Wed. are only half day anyway) in less than an hour. So, I dropped him off, told him I'm sorry I had to go, and walked home as fast as I could. I changed, grabbed my snack and subbing bag(luckily I always have it packed just in case), and headed out the door. I made it in time! The teacher's husband had gone in the hospital that morning, so she had to leave. There was a great aide in that classroom, so with her help, the short day was easy. It was back to school night at my youngest son's school. The chicken wasn't quite done when it was time for my daughter to drop me off at school, so she and my oldest son checked it when she got back. They did a great job checking - it was done just right. I walked home from school to get another walk in.

On Thursday, it was one of my worst subbing days ever! I was in a 3rd grade class. The day didn't start off good. It took me almost 40 minutes to get there, and it usually only takes 15. I ended up being assigned to a different 3rd grade teacher, than the one I signed up for. The kids were so horrible. They wouldn't listen to anything I said, and had no clue what to do, since they wouldn't listen. The teacher didn't leave very good lesson plans either, and the kids said they don't know what they normally do, so that didn't help any. I finally asked for help from the office, which is something I've never had to do at the elementary school level. The lady in the computer lab had trouble with the kids too. After lunch, they still wouldn't quiet down and listen, so I called the office again. Even while she was there, they dumped out pencil shavings on the teacher chair, split a pencil in half and left it near the teacher's chair, wandered around the room, sharpened pencils constantly, often went in and out the door, took the teacher's stapler and staple remover and put it in their desk, etc. Absolutely no work got done by the majority of the class. I will never sub in that class again!

On Friday, I subbed in my son's previous 3rd grade class. Since he was there last year, I'm familiar with her routine. It was a pretty good day, much better than yesterday! At home, Fridays usually aren't too bad. I just have to make dinner and do the dishes. I usually try to get caught up on some email since I don't get to do much during the week.

On Saturday, I did my usual grocery shopping and cleaning. My 2 older kids start college this week, so I wrote down one of their schedules. The other one's schedule won't be finalized until Tuesday; school starts on Thursday. It's hard to believe I'll have 2 kids in college! Their little brother is going to miss them. At least they're still living at home, but they'll both be gone all day. At night, we went to my parents house for dinner. My dad made his famous tacos; they are delicious!